Monday, June 28, 2010

THE MAN WHO MAKES U LAUGH

Look around u mr. clown. you're drowning in your dreams
a sea of strangers each one reaching out for you
"make us laugh"mr funny man-fame at last-mr funny man
could the love you crave be waiting in some woman's heart?
or must you spend these endless nights alone among the crowd
bowing for their laughter in the dark
wiping off the custard pie that life just loves to throw
knowing when the audience goes home that you'll be alone


look at me-look at me-i'm the funny man
have you ever heard such clever stuff before?
applauded Time magazine-"he's the laughter machine"
i'm the man who makes you laugh

you killed them at the palace and you thrilled 'em in L.A.
the waiters at the deli know your schtick by heart
make us laugh-mr. funny man-be a daft-dummy funny man
everyone's an audience and lifes' a funny line
but when the curtains sinking are you thinking of the day
mother gave your dancing shoes a shine-pushed you on the stage and whispered
"kid-you'll be alright"
the spotlight hurts your eyes but stirs the sparkle that burns now in your heart

look at me-look at me-i'm the funny man
and my home is any microphone thats free
made with nerves of caffiene-i'm the laughter machine
i'm the man who makes you laugh

the monster with 1000 eyes is shouting to be fed
get your head together for the 2nd show
make us laugh-mr. funny man
autographs-mr. funny man

fear will drink your whiskey while you think of her embrace
trying to forget her letter of goodbye
stares as you repair your painted face
when did she discover that the spotlight was your armor
i ask my own reflection and i see
-the funny man is me

look at me-look at me- i'm the funny man
"Hello,folks"
it seems the joke was all on me
but that's all in the dream of the laughter machine

i'm the man who makes you laugh

ha.ha.ha.ha

Ha, Ha, Ha......

Anthony Newley

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad anybody would make this terrific lyric available, but I'd like to correct a few errors: "The spotlight hurt your eyes but stirred the spark that burns now in your heart." "Make us laugh, Mr. Funnyman. Autograph, Mr. Funnyman." "Trying to forget her though her letter of goodbye stares as you repair your painted face... when did she discover that the spotlight was your lover?" RIP Tony.

    ReplyDelete